This is my desk; and I make sure it’s set up like this every morning so I don’t have to worry about anything other than writing. This is what’s on it:
- Macbook Air – I write the early drafts of my novels in Scrivener and later drafts in Word.
- Mslexia Diary – only writing-related stuff goes in here; deadlines, submissions, blog schedule, etc.
- Notebook – for automatic writing (every day, first thing) to warm up my brain.
- MontBlanc Fountain Pen – a treat I bought myself for finding an agent (thanks Sallyanne!).
- Thank You Book – I jot down nice stuff that’s happened and get a kick from reading thank you’s from the likes of Seamus Heaney.
- ‘Drift Away’ candle – An idea I got from a writer/composer friend. I light it every day. I find the smell very relaxing.
- Rory’s Storycubes – sometimes, you need a bit of inspiration. Or just a bit of fun.
- Bog Cotton Coaster – no drinks disasters here please! Plus, my husband picked me some bog cotton when we were just friends, to send to me in the post – and lost his shoe in the process. Looking at it always makes me smile.
- Alice in Wonderland/Floral Desk Tidy – I got this designed specially on Etsy; you can turn each block to suit your mood.
- Antique Cookbook Stand – A gift which I love. I’ve never used it for cooking but I love the design and I can prop my diary/research on there.
I’m fascinated by how different writers work. From the garden shed of Roald Dahl to the train journeys of Agatha Christie – I love seeing what makes each writer tick; how they can create the perfect space to create.
So, what’s on your desk? I’d love to know!